Upward Projects’ Beverage Director Extraordinaire, Brent Karlicek (BK), puts a creative twist on a traditional Mexican holiday punch: el Ponche.
- 3 small pears
- 3 pieces fresh sugarcane, peeled, quartered lengthwise
- 3 guavas, peeled, seeded, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 oz tamarind pods, peeled
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 oz fresh ginger, peeled, sliced lengthwise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 cone piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar)
- 6 cups water
- Add tamarind, sugarcane, and ginger to water. Simmer until tamarind just falls apart, 30 minutes.
- Add pears, guava, cinnamon, cranberries, and piloncillo to water. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add 0.5 oz of Canton Ginger Liqueur, and 0.5 oz of Hennessey Cognac to 6 mugs.
- Remove ginger root and cinnamon from batch; discard. Divide sugarcane and fruits between 6 mugs.
- Ladle warm ponche evenly between mugs. Enjoy thoroughly.
|BK describing his Ginger Pear Ponche to Windsor staff during a pre-shift meeting|