We love getting involved in our community–you guys are awesome. Recently we had the opportunity to visit Hopi Elementary and teach the first grade class about using home-grown produce to make a delicious salad. Chef Christopher Newstrom taught the students how to make a basic vinaigrette. This delicious dressing topped lettuce grown by the students themselves in their garden at the school. Many of the students discovered a new love for salad and everyone wrote thank you letters to the Chef. We had a great time!
Thank you for teaching us about salads and lettuce. I devoured the munchy salad. That made me want to go to your restaurant more. I munched that salad like a pig! My mom and I are going to make crunchy salad at home and munch it up. I appreciate all your effort to do this.
Your salad eater,
Care to make your own crunchy, munchy salad? Here is the recipe for Chef Chris’s vinaigrette!
Courtesy of Chef Chris Newstrom
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (chopped fine)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine mustard, honey and vinegar in a mixing bowl—whisk until combined, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Mix in chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Serve atop fresh mixed lettuce.